New York synagogues, museum got fake bomb threats, officials say

Manhattan Borough President Mark D. Levine said on X the synagogue bomb threats were “a clear hate crime"

By Reuters
|
May 06, 2024
The Chabad Lubavitch HQ in Brooklyn, New York, USA, celebrated the fifth day of Chanukah/Hanukkah on December 11, 2023. — AFP/File

NEW YORK: At least three synagogues and a museum in New York received bomb threats on Sunday but none were deemed credible by the New York Police Department, a city official and police said.

Manhattan Borough President Mark D. Levine said on X the synagogue bomb threats were “a clear hate crime, and part of a growing trend of ‘swatting’ incidents targeting Jewish institutions.” “This is a clear effort to sow fear in the Jewish community. Cannot be accepted,” he said.

Advertisement

Antisemitic incidents of assault, vandalism and harassment in the US more than doubled last year to a record high as anti-Jewish sentiment spiked after the start of the Israel-Hamas war in October, the Anti-Defamation League said in a report last month.

Advertisement