DUBAI: The ICC Board has said that certain comments and actions of some of the West Indies players in the immediate aftermath of the World T20 final were inappropriate, disrespectful and brought the event into disrepute.
The Board, which held its second meeting of 2016 at the ICC headquarters in Dubai on April 24, acknowledged an apology by the WICB but was disappointed to note that such behaviour had detracted from the success of what was otherwise a magnificent tournament and final.
The Board said this was not acceptable conduct at ICC Events played out on a world stage in front of millions of people around the globe.
The Members confirmed their support for day-night Tests and it was noted that a number of day-night Tests were being considered for the forthcoming year.
Following on from the February 2016 meeting decision to urgently re-establish the ‘independent’ position of ICC Chairman, the Board agreed that the election of the ICC Chairman by the Board will be held through a secret ballot in late May after all constitutional amendments have been approved by the Full Council in the coming weeks.
The elected independent Chairman will not be allowed to hold any national or provincial position with any Member Board.
The Board approved a short-term ODI fund of $500,000 each for Afghanistan Cricket Board and Cricket Ireland to allow them to schedule more bilateral series.
On cricket’s potential participation in the Olympics and/or Commonwealth Games, the ICC Board received an update from the management and agreed that further discussions were required with the Members and the other stakeholders before a final position could be adopted.
The Board received an update on cricket in China and was impressed to note that there were about 80,000 participants in the country, including around 35,000 women.
The Board received a report on the development of cricket in the United States of America (USA) and expressed its satisfaction with the progress made in line with the previously approved strategic framework.
It was also decided that the ICC World Cricket League Division 4 event, which the USA will participate in, would be staged by the ICC in Los Angeles in late 2016.
In light of the ongoing court case involving the Cricket Association of Nepal (CAN) and the Ad hoc Committee established by the Nepalese National Sports Council (NSC), which has led to a vacuum of cricket leadership in Nepal, the Board suspended the Membership of CAN for breach of Article 2.9 of the ICC’s Articles of Association, which prohibits government interference and requires free and fair elections.