BENGHAZI, Libya: Libya´s eastern authorities said on Sunday they had postponed a reconstruction conference for the flood-hit city of Derna that had been planned for October 10 but was met with international scepticism.
The event was put off until November 1-2 to “offer time for the submission of effective studies and projects” for the reconstruction effort, the committee charged with planning the meeting said in a statement.
The divided country´s eastern administration last month invited the “international community” to attend the conference in Derna, the coastal city where a September 10-11 flash flood devastated large areas and killed thousands.
The authorities later said the conference would draw in international companies. On Sunday, the committee said the postponed event would be held in both Derna and the eastern city of Benghazi.
According to Saqr al-Jibani, head of the organising committee, the decision to hold off on the event followed requests by mayors of affected communities as well as business representatives who had expressed interest in attending.