Thu, Oct 23, 2014, Zul.Hajj 27,1435 A.H : Last updated 1 hour ago
 
 
Group Chairman: Mir Javed Rahman

Editor-in-Chief: Mir Shakil-ur-Rahman
Disclamier
 
 
You are here: Home > World > Rest of World
 
 World
 

7 die in Mali clashes, Islamists threaten to kill hostages
 


March 25, 2013 - Updated 728 PKT
From Web Edition
 
 



BAMAKO: Clashes between the Malian army and militants killed seven people including a soldier and two civilians Sunday in northern Mali's largest city, as Al-Qaeda's north African branch threatened to kill its French hostages.

 

The fighting in Gao took place as the Malian army carried out what it called a "clean-up" operation in Gao after militants from the Movement for Oneness and Jihad in West Africa (MUJAO) infiltrated the northeastern city and opened fire on an army camp overnight.

 

Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), an allied extremist group, for its part renewed a threat to kill its French hostages and called on their families to pressure France's government to end its military operation against militants who had seized control of northern Mali.

 

The Al-Qaeda franchise is currently holding at least five French hostages in the region. It announced last week that it had killed a sixth, business traveller Philippe Verdon, though Paris has not confirmed the report.

 

The hostages are "very much alive, except for the spy Philippe Verdon", the group said in a message published on Mauritanian news site ANI, which often carries statements from the groups.

 

"However, we cannot guarantee they will remain alive indefinitely, because of your government's aggression and your army's attacks against mujahedeen bases," it added. "We recommend the hostages' families and the French people pressure President (Francois) Hollande and his government to withdraw their army from Mali."

 

The group condemned what it called an "unjust occupation" by France, saying it risked "transforming all of Africa into a swamp in which the French will drown."

 

In Gao, a Malian military source said the army was "carrying out a clean-up to dislodge any Islamists that may have infiltrated" the city, downplaying the significance of what MUJAO claimed was an attack on an army camp in the city.

 

"Some individuals fired three AK-47 shots at a Malian military camp in Gao overnight," the source said.

 

"Our men responded forcefully. We see it as a very minimal incident. You can't even call it an attack."

 

During the clashes that followed, a Malian soldier, two civilians and four militants were killed in exchanges of gunfire, an African security source told AFP in Gao.

 

The city was now "calm" again, the source said, adding that the army, "backed by French and African troops, had the situation under control".

 

Later Sunday the Malian military issued a statement saying a Malian soldier and an adolescent boy were killed, and four more soldiers and three other civilians were wounded.

 

"The mujahedeen are going to continue fighting until the final victory," said Oumar Wahab, a MUJAO leader who was one of the city's rulers during the months that Al-Qaeda-linked groups controlled northern Mali.

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Be the first to comment
 
 
 Post Your Comments  (0)
 
 
Name:        
Email:
 
 
 
Country:     
 
 
 
Enter Code:  
 
 
 
 
If you are facing problem in submitting your comments, please click here to report your problem.