Asghar Khan case: Nawaz not to appear before SC
ISLAMABAD: Former prime minister and Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) Quaid Muhammad Nawaz Sharif has decided not to appear before the Supreme Court in the famous Asghar Khan case. The decision [to not appear before the court] was taken in consultation with legal experts, sources told Geo News. Earlier this week, a three-member bench hearing the case, headed by Chief Justice of Pakistan (CJP) Saqib Nisar, had directed 31 respondents to submit written replies to the top court by June 9. Nawaz and Javed Hashmi were among the 31 respondents. During its last hearing, the top court had also summoned Nawaz, who failed to appear before the bench.
Subsequently, the court allowed him to be represented by a lawyer.
Barrister Munawar Iqbal Duggal will represent him in the case and submit his response to the court.
Asghar Khan case: The Supreme Court issued a 141-page verdict on October 19, 2012, ordering legal proceedings against Gen (R) Aslam Beg and the ISI former DG Lt Gen (retd) Asad Durrani in a case filed 16 years ago by Asghar Khan, former Air Chief Air Marshal.
Khan had petitioned the Supreme Court in 1996 alleging that the two senior army officers and the then president Ghulam Ishaq Khan had doled out Rs140 million among several politicians ahead of the 1990 polls to ensure Benazir Bhutto's defeat in the polls.
The Islamic Jamhoori Ittehad (IJI), comprising nine parties including the Pakistan Muslim League, National People’s Party and Jamaat-e-Islami, had won the 1990 elections and Nawaz Sharif was elected prime minister.
In 1996, Khan wrote a letter to the then Supreme Court Chief Justice Nasim Hassan Shah naming Beg, Durrani and Younis Habib, the ex-Habib Bank Sindh chief and owner of Mehran Bank, for the unlawful disbursement of public money and its misuse for political purposes.
The 2012 apex court judgment, authored by the then Chief Justice of Pakistan Iftikhar Chaudhry, had
directed the Federal
Investigation Agency (FIA) to initiate a transparent investigation and subsequent trial if sufficient evidence was found against the former army officers. That
investigation is yet to conclude.
-
Eric Dane Says Touching Goodbye To Daughters Billie And Georgia In New Netflix Documentary -
Channing Tatum Reveals What He Told Daughter After Violent Incident At School -
King Charles Lands In The Line Of Fire Because Of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor -
Denise Richards Doubles Down On Abuse Claims Against Ex Husband Aaron Phypers Amid Show Return -
Russia Set To Block Overseas Crypto Exchanges In Sweeping Crackdown -
Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals Deep Personal Connection With Kate Hudson -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s Game Plan For Beatrice, Eugenie: ‘Extra Popcorn For This Disaster’ -
OpenAI To Rollout AI Powered Smart Speakers By 2027 -
Is Dakota Johnsons Dating Younger Pop Star After Breakup With Coldplay Frontman Chris Martin? -
Hilary Duff Tears Up Talking About Estranged Sister Haylie Duff -
US Supreme Court Strikes Down Trump’s Global Tariffs As 'unlawful' -
Kelly Clarkson Explains Decision To Quit 'The Kelly Clarkson Show' -
Inside Hilary Duff's Supportive Marriage With Husband Matthew Koma Amid New Album Release -
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens -
Director Beth De Araujo Alludes To Andrew's Arrest During Child Trauma Talk -
Video Of Andrew 'consoling' Eugenie Resurfaces After Release From Police Custody