KP govt in a fix as assembly session postponed till May 14
PESHAWAR: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly did not hold its session scheduled on Thursday, apparently to avoid the anger of disgruntled members of the ruling Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) and possible move against Chief Minister Pervez Khattak, who, according to the opposition parties, had lost confidence of the majority in the provincial assembly.
The session would now be held on May 14 as the provincial assembly secretariat issued a fresh notification in this regard. The PTI government also plans to present budget for the next fiscal year.
PTI’s coalition partner, Jamaat-e-Islami, quit the provincial government at a news conference at the Chief Minister’s House early in the day.
Awami National Party (ANP) parliamentary party leader Sardar Hussain Babak had written a letter to Khyber Pakhtunkhwa governor to take fresh oath from Pervez Khattak as he argued that the chief minister had lost confidence of the majority of members in provincial assembly.
Meanwhile, the disgruntled PTI MPAs, who had been issued show-cause notices for allegedly selling their votes in the Senate polls, denied the vote selling allegations while speaking at a joint news conference. They said they would vote against the chief minister in case no-confidence motion was tabled against him.
PTI MPAs Qurban Ali Khan, Yasin Khalil, Amjad Afridi, Obaidullah Mayar, Wajeehuzzaman, Abdul Haq and Ziaullah Afridi addressed the news conference held at Yasin Khalil’s home in Peshawar.
In the 123-member House, the ruling PTI doesn’t even have simple majority after at least 14 of its members opted to turn against their party in the assembly and the Jamaat-e-Islami disassociated itself from the government.
However, the JI parliamentary party leader and former senior minister Inayatullah said that his party would support Pervez Khattak if the opposition tabled no-confidence motion against him.
Sensing its depleted strength in the provincial assembly, Chief Minister Pervez Khattak has said that he is in constant touch with the opposition parties and if they agree the government would present the budget for the next four months.
-
Tucker Carlson Says Passport Seized, Staff Member Questioned At Israel Airport -
Taylor Swift Made Sure Jodie Turner-Smith's Little Girl Had A Special Day On 'Opalite' Music Video Set -
Eric Dane Says Touching Goodbye To Daughters Billie And Georgia In New Netflix Documentary -
Channing Tatum Reveals What He Told Daughter After Violent Incident At School -
King Charles Lands In The Line Of Fire Because Of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor -
Denise Richards Doubles Down On Abuse Claims Against Ex Husband Aaron Phypers Amid Show Return -
Russia Set To Block Overseas Crypto Exchanges In Sweeping Crackdown -
Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals Deep Personal Connection With Kate Hudson -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s Game Plan For Beatrice, Eugenie: ‘Extra Popcorn For This Disaster’ -
OpenAI To Rollout AI Powered Smart Speakers By 2027 -
Is Dakota Johnsons Dating Younger Pop Star After Breakup With Coldplay Frontman Chris Martin? -
Hilary Duff Tears Up Talking About Estranged Sister Haylie Duff -
US Supreme Court Strikes Down Trump’s Global Tariffs As 'unlawful' -
Kelly Clarkson Explains Decision To Quit 'The Kelly Clarkson Show' -
Inside Hilary Duff's Supportive Marriage With Husband Matthew Koma Amid New Album Release -
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens