15 civilians killed in Boko Haram attack in SE Niger
Niamey: Fifteen civilians were killed in an attack by Boko Haram militants on a border village in southeastern Niger, state television reported Friday, the latest deadly raid by the group.
"We found a dreadful scene, around 15 people had been executed, four of whom were from Nigeria," Hassan Ardo, an official from the Diffa governorate told the Tele Sahel television station.
By AFP
September 26, 2015
Niamey: Fifteen civilians were killed in an attack by Boko Haram militants on a border village in southeastern Niger, state television reported Friday, the latest deadly raid by the group.
"We found a dreadful scene, around 15 people had been executed, four of whom were from Nigeria," Hassan Ardo, an official from the Diffa governorate told the Tele Sahel television station.
The attackers had also torched 22 houses, a car and a mill, he said, and left four others wounded.
The station said the attack took place Thursday night and was carried out by around a dozen armed militants who had arrived on foot at the village on the banks of the Komadougou Yobe river on the border with Nigeria.
One of the victims was the village chief, the Afani private radio station reported.
Niger, whose primary source of foreign income is uranium, has joined a regional military alliance, alongside Chad, Niger and Nigeria, to fight Boko Haram, infamous for mass abductions, village massacres and suicide bombings by women and teenagers.
Since February this year, the southern Diffa region has suffered several deadly Boko Haram raids.
In June, 38 civilians were killed -- including 10 children -- in a Boko Haram attack targeting two villages close to Diffa.
"We found a dreadful scene, around 15 people had been executed, four of whom were from Nigeria," Hassan Ardo, an official from the Diffa governorate told the Tele Sahel television station.
The attackers had also torched 22 houses, a car and a mill, he said, and left four others wounded.
The station said the attack took place Thursday night and was carried out by around a dozen armed militants who had arrived on foot at the village on the banks of the Komadougou Yobe river on the border with Nigeria.
One of the victims was the village chief, the Afani private radio station reported.
Niger, whose primary source of foreign income is uranium, has joined a regional military alliance, alongside Chad, Niger and Nigeria, to fight Boko Haram, infamous for mass abductions, village massacres and suicide bombings by women and teenagers.
Since February this year, the southern Diffa region has suffered several deadly Boko Haram raids.
In June, 38 civilians were killed -- including 10 children -- in a Boko Haram attack targeting two villages close to Diffa.
-
Daniel Radcliffe wants son to see him as just dad, not Harry Potter
-
Nancy Guthrie kidnapped with 'blessings' of drug cartels
-
Heavy snowfall disrupts operations at Germany's largest Airport
-
France sees record 102mn international tourists in 2025
-
ICE deports Congolese mother despite fears she could be killed
-
Keir Starmer appoints 'Dame Antonia Romeo' as first female head of UK service
-
Russia sounds alarm over Iran tension as US forces surge in region
-
France on red alert: Storm Pedro batters southwest following record 35 day rain streak