At least 76 dead in Yemen air raids, fighting
Aden: At least 76 people were killed in Yemen Friday as Saudi-led warplanes pounded rebels heading to bolster an assault on loyalists in Aden and fighting raged in Taez, officials said.
At least 20 rebels were killed, and two tanks and four armoured vehicles destroyed, in the overnight air strikes on a convoy headed out of Yemen´s largest air base, Al-Anad,
By AFP
April 18, 2015
Aden: At least 76 people were killed in Yemen Friday as Saudi-led warplanes pounded rebels heading to bolster an assault on loyalists in Aden and fighting raged in Taez, officials said.
At least 20 rebels were killed, and two tanks and four armoured vehicles destroyed, in the overnight air strikes on a convoy headed out of Yemen´s largest air base, Al-Anad, provincial official Abedrabbo al-Mihwali said.
The base was the main watching post for a long-running US-led war on Al-Qaeda in Yemen, and its evacuation by Western troops as the rebels advanced last month has created a vacuum that the jihadists have exploited to make big territorial gains.
In the port city of Aden, 32 rebels were among 40 people who died in fighting and air raids over the past 24 hours, a military source said.
Most of the rebels were killed in ambushes on the Dar Saad quarter of the southern city, Yemen´s second largest.
In Taez, in the central highlands north of Aden, at least 16 people were killed as soldiers who have remained loyal to exiled President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi put up fierce resistance to an attack on their base by Huthi rebels and renegade troops.
Three civilians were among the dead when a stray shell hit their home, a military source and residents said.
The 35th Brigade headquarters at the centre of the fighting escaped the lightning offensive that saw the rebels advance from their stronghold in the mainly northern mountains this spring into mostly central and southern provinces.
The support of army units still loyal to longtime strongman Ali Abdullah Saleh, ousted in 2012 after a bloody year-long uprising, has been crucial to the insurgents´ progress. (AFP)
At least 20 rebels were killed, and two tanks and four armoured vehicles destroyed, in the overnight air strikes on a convoy headed out of Yemen´s largest air base, Al-Anad, provincial official Abedrabbo al-Mihwali said.
The base was the main watching post for a long-running US-led war on Al-Qaeda in Yemen, and its evacuation by Western troops as the rebels advanced last month has created a vacuum that the jihadists have exploited to make big territorial gains.
In the port city of Aden, 32 rebels were among 40 people who died in fighting and air raids over the past 24 hours, a military source said.
Most of the rebels were killed in ambushes on the Dar Saad quarter of the southern city, Yemen´s second largest.
In Taez, in the central highlands north of Aden, at least 16 people were killed as soldiers who have remained loyal to exiled President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi put up fierce resistance to an attack on their base by Huthi rebels and renegade troops.
Three civilians were among the dead when a stray shell hit their home, a military source and residents said.
The 35th Brigade headquarters at the centre of the fighting escaped the lightning offensive that saw the rebels advance from their stronghold in the mainly northern mountains this spring into mostly central and southern provinces.
The support of army units still loyal to longtime strongman Ali Abdullah Saleh, ousted in 2012 after a bloody year-long uprising, has been crucial to the insurgents´ progress. (AFP)
-
France sees record 102mn international tourists in 2025
-
ICE deports Congolese mother despite fears she could be killed
-
Keir Starmer appoints 'Dame Antonia Romeo' as first female head of UK service
-
Russia sounds alarm over Iran tension as US forces surge in region
-
France on red alert: Storm Pedro batters southwest following record 35 day rain streak
-
Headway made in Nancy Guthrie case: report
-
'Pulp Fiction' actor Peter Greene died in accidental gunshot, officials confirm
-
Three men discovered dead in Detroit basement as passerby alerts police