China’s World Cup hosting dream hit by latest flops
SHANGHAI: China is throwing money at President Xi Jinping’s ambitions to boast a top-class national football team and one day host a World Cup.
But while the latter can be achieved by splashing the cash, the former appears further away than ever after a desperate four days. China’s national team have long been an embarrassment to the country and on Friday, Marcello Lippi’s side lost 1-0 to Qatar in Doha, triggering another bout of soul-searching and finger-pointing by Chinese media and fans.
Titan Sports, citing “informed sources”, said that an apoplectic “high-ranking official” got on the phone to a team supervisor at the Khalifa Stadium before half-time to demand what was going on.
Lippi, said to be the best-paid international coach in the world on reported wages of between $23 million and $27 million a year, admitted he was shocked by the team’s performance in Qatar.
That was followed on Monday by a moribund 0-0 draw with Bahrain, who are ranked 113th in the FIFA rankings to China’s 75th, prompting Lippi to say that he was “mentally prepared for criticism”.
Some incandescent fans on Weibo, China’s equivalent of Twitter, called for the national team to be disbanded.The 70-year-old Lippi, who is expected to step down after the Asian Cup in the UAE in January, said he had been “surprised and worried about the condition of our players” before the Qatar game.
“If the Asian Cup opened next week, I’d be worried, but we still have time to become better,” added Lippi, who led his native Italy to win the World Cup in 2006. China improved when Lippi took over nearly two years ago, but that initial bounce is gone. In his 21 games in charge they have won eight, lost eight and drawn five.
They failed to reach the World Cup in Russia — in Lippi’s defence, most of the damage to China’s qualifying hopes was done before he arrived — and he is under pressure for the first time. Lippi’s side had plenty of the ball against World Cup 2022 hosts Qatar but lacked a cutting edge up front, where Chinese Super League (CSL) top-scorer Wu Lei had little support or service. Lippi has previously bemoaned his lack of strikers, saying it was because CSL teams tended to favour expensive foreign forwards, limiting chances for Chinese players.
On Monday, the Chinese Football Association announced that another well-known coach, the 71-year-old Guus Hiddink, will take over the under-21 side — another statement of intent. The Dutchman will earn just under four million euros a year after tax, local media said, which is more than England manager Gareth Southgate.
-
Pamela Anderson, David Hasselhoff's Return To Reimagined Version Of 'Baywatch' Confirmed By Star -
Willie Colón, Salsa Legend, Dies At 75 -
Prince Edward Praised After Andrew's Arrest: 'Scandal-free Brother' -
Shawn Levy Recalls Learning Key Comedy Tactic In 'The Pink Panther' -
King Charles Fears More Trouble As Monarchy Faces Growing Pressure -
Inside Channing Tatum's Red Carpet Return After Shoulder Surgery -
Ryan Coogler Brands 'When Harry Met Sally' His Most Favourite Rom Com While Discussing Love For Verstality -
Sarah Pidgeon Explains Key To Portraying Carolyn Bessette Kennedy -
Justin Bieber Rocked The World With Bold Move 15 Years Ago -
Sam Levinson Wins Hearts With Huge Donation To Eric Dane GoFundMe -
Kate Middleton Steps Out First Time Since Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Arrest -
Inside Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi's 'private' Marriage With Husband Jionni LaValle Amid Health Scare -
Germany’s Ruling Coalition Backs Social Media Ban For Children Under 14 -
Meghan Markle Shuts Down Harry’s Hopes Of Reconnecting With ‘disgraced’ Uncle -
Liza Minnelli Alleges She Was Ordered To Use Wheelchair At 2022 Academy Awards -
Quinton Aaron Reveals Why He Does Not Want To Speak To Wife Margarita Ever Again