PARACHINAR: The death toll from the Fridayís suicide attack and firing incident in Parachinar city, headquarters of Kurram Agency, reached 41 on Saturday, official sources said.
The sources said that 29 persons were killed and 48 wounded in the suicide attack when worshippers of the Shia community were coming out of the mosque after Friday prayers.
They said the death toll reached 41 when 12 other persons succumbed to injuries at the hospitals in Peshawar and Parachinar.
Most of the slain belonging to Zeran, Shalozan and Malana villages were buried in their respective graveyards.
The mourning was observed across the city and villages and educational institutions and trading centres remained closed. Curfew was clamped in the surroundings of the blast scene.
Meanwhile, the elders of Turi tribe held a jirga to condemn the killing of innocent people in the attack.
Speaking on the occasion, Haji Ali Akbar asked the government to register a case against the militant commander who had claimed responsibility for the bombing and demolish his house, besides withholding the perks and privileges being given to his tribe. He also demanded registration of case against the officials for ordering firing and killing the protesters in Parachinar.
He said peace could be derailed if the government did not take action against the elements involved in the suicide attack.
Political Agent Syed Shahab Ali Shah said the curfew had been lifted and the main road reopened for vehicular traffic from today (Sunday).
He said the elders of both the sects had reposed confidence in the political administration and those who were behind the attack would not be spared.