ISLAMABAD: The compensation money paid to the heirs of two slain Pakistani nationals — Faizan and Faheem — who were shot dead at the Qartaba Chowk, Lahore, by CIA contractor Raymond Davis on January 27, was paid from the government’s funds.
The release and departure of Raymond Davis was not any abrupt happening but was well planned as serious activities had been going on since the last week, and the heirs were also present in the federal capital.
Sources said that negotiations were going on between the heirs and the government to solve the issue, while some important officials of the US administration also joined them on many occasions.
The sources revealed that the issue of Diyat was resolved between the government and the heirs of Faizan and Faheem. According to the agreed-upon formula, the blood-money of Rs200 million was paid from the government fund for the sake of national self-respect and no money was taken from the United States.
The sources said that as per the deal, Rs100 million each were paid to the families of two slain youths. Three days ago, when the final talks were going on with the heirs, the widow of Faizan refused to take Rs25 million blood-money, saying it was not enough. President Asif Ali Zardari was informed of the stand of Faizan’s widow, and after that she was paid Rs50 million.
As per the deal, the state will bear the expenses of education, employment and other needs of the children of the deceased. The heirs will stay in the US, and in a few days will reach Dubai. At present, they were shifted from their homes to some safe place from where they would be sent abroad.