PESHAWAR: The father of a young girl has petitioned the Peshawar High Court (PHC) for safe recovery of his daughter from the custody of alleged kidnapers who first abducted her for ransom and then married her off to a 16-year-old boy by force.
Abbas Ali, a resident of Sindh province and currently living in Islamabad, filed writ petition through Sardar Tariq. He prayed the court to recover his 27 year-old daughter Sumaira from the custody of Sarwar, a resident of the Hangu district.
The father also produced Sumaira’s application in the court in which she had requested the president of Pakistan and chief justice of Pakistan to help her release from the kidnappers’ custody as they were torturing her and she might be killed.
The petitioner stated that first he got a first information report registered at the Shalimar Police Station against unknown persons on July 26, 2011 when he learnt from his younger daughter Arzo that Sumaira had gone missing from the market.
The man stated that his younger daughter informed him that Sumaira went missing from the market where she had gone to shop for loading balance in her mobile. “I received a call from my daughter after 13 days. She informed me that the accused had kidnapped her and then arranged her forced marriage with his 16-year old son Zishan”, the petitioner said.
In the petition, he claimed that the accused had kidnapped his daughter for ransom from Islamabad and shifted her to Peshawar and later married her off by force. He said his daughter who was a graduate was now nine months pregnant.
The helpless father, who is a federal government employee in the Education Department, said after receiving the call, he charged the accused under section 365-B of the Pakistan Penal Code.
The petitioner submitted that after nomination in the FIR, the accused secured bail-before arrest from a court in Peshawar. For confirmation of their bail in a local court in Islamabad, the petitioner alleged the accused produced his daughter by strapping a suicide jacket to her body and got statement in his favour in the court that confirmed their bail in the kidnapping case.
Later, he said his daughter informed him by phone that she had been forced to record a false statement in the court that she had married at her free will otherwise she would be blown up. He said the accused used to reside in Gulberg area of Peshawar but now had shifted to Hangu district.
The petitioner alleged the kidnaper also demanded Rs7 million for the release of his daughter and claimed the family had paid Rs900, 000. “I am not in position to pay Rs7 million for release of my daughter,” he said, adding that he tried and contacted police officers both in Peshawar and Islamabad to get his daughter recovered but to no avail.
The father had filed the petition some nine months ago in the high court, but the court heard the case once only during this long period and asked the petitioner to submit correct addresses of the accused. Then he filed an application in the court for early hearing of the case. A single bench headed by Chief Justice Dost Muhammad Khan fixed the case for July 25.