THE Lahore High Court on Friday declined to issue immediate stay order against factories set up in residential areas of Punjab.
Justice Ayesha A Malik observed the issue of stay order would be decided after seeking reply from the respondent side and sought replies from the Punjab government and others. Pakistan Mazdoor Mahaz filed the petition through Advocate Ishtiaq Chaudhry which said many factories and industries had been functioning in residential areas of the province in connivance with authorities concerned. The counsel said the factories had been established illegally but the government failed to take action against them. He prayed to the court to order the Punjab government, Lahore Development Authority, Building Department and others to take action against illegal factories and close them down. He also prayed that a judicial inquiry be ordered to fix responsibility for all fire incidents in the past and to ensure punishment. The court will resume the hearing on October 10.
Bails extended: Central Judge Farooq Altaf on Friday extended the interim bail of Punjab Chief Minister’s former Principal Secretary Tauqeer Shah and Staff Officer Talha Barki by September 21 accused of releasing the fake intelligence reports about the murder plot of former LHC Chief Justice Khawaja Muhammad Shahrif.
On Friday, FIA officials requested the court to direct all accused mentioned in the FIR to cooperate with the investigation. To this, accused counsel said that his clients would cooperate with the investigation team but their interim bail should be extended for more time. After hearing both parties, the court has extended the interim bail of the aforesaid accused.
No Diyat: The Lahore High Court on Friday sought reply from the Interior Ministry for making no efforts for 22 years for a family to get Diyat (compensation) money from the Saudi government for the death of a woman’s husband.
Justice Khalid Mehmood Khan issued the order on the petition of Khalida Parveen who contended that her husband had died in Saudi Arabia in a traffic accident on August 21, 1990. She said that under the Saudi laws, legal heirs to the deceased were awarded Diyat for accidental deaths. She said nine other persons were also killed in the said traffic accident and the families of all of them had got Diyat money. She said she had filed an application to the Interior Ministry 22 years ago.