A factory was engulfed in flames in the Korangi Industrial area on Tuesday after a pile of yarn caught fire due to a short-circuit.
Situated near Ismail Goth graveyard in Korangi, the yarn factory, Textile Fort, caught fire in the afternoon. A fire department spokesperson said that they received a call around 1:42pm by a factory worker to report the incident.
With the help of eight fire tenders and one browser the blaze was eventually controlled. No casualties are reported, according to the fire department, as the workers quickly evacuated the building. The fire department spokesperson said that some yarn had caught fire after a short circuit in the building but it could not be said with certainty if that was the only cause of the blaze.
DIG West Shahid Hayat said that he could not say as to what exactly happened as the details were not clear as yet.
This is the eight fire incident since the tragic Baldia factory fire that killed more than 250 people. This incident, though not as high in intensity as Baldia, however, does raise a number of questions about the emergency precautions taken at local factories.