Panic spread among hospital staff and patients when a fierce fire erupted in the neurosurgery and eye departments of the Civil Hospital Services— temporarily located in the buildings of Sindh Services Hospital—destroying medical equipment and furniture besides leaving many patients unconscious.
According to the Sindh Services Hospital officials, the blaze in the neurosurgery department which started due to short circuits in the electricity meters soon engulfed the entire building.Due to the fire, smoke filled the entire building and several patients faced extreme difficulties as their conditions deteriorated and they had to be shifted to alternate wards. The fire also spread across the eye department, damaging operation theaters and other equipment. Two fire tenders reached the hospital to extinguish the flames. They also helped in the shifting patients to other buildings.
On learning about the incident, Special Secretary Health Dr Suresh Kumar, Medical
Superintendent of the CHK Prof Saeed Qureshi and MS of the Sindh Services Hospital Dr Taufiq Zahid reached the spot.
Talking to The News, Qureshi said the neurosurgery department was temporarily housed in the Sindh Services Hospital but unfortunately a fire ruined it. “As far as the repair of both the gutted wards is concerned, it is a long task and till then, patients of the two wards would be treated at other wards of the hospital.”
A press statement said the CHK administration was not in a position to deal with neurological and ophthalmological patients at the moment as operation theaters had been badly affected.