Wed, Nov 25, 2015, Safar 12, 1437 A.H | Last updated 2 hours ago
Hot Topics
You are here: Home > Today's Paper > Karachi
- Saturday, April 07, 2012 - From Print Edition




Three activists of the Pakistan People’s Party were gunned down in Orangi Town while a supporter of a religious group was killed in Surjani Town on Friday.


Meanwhile, president of the People’s Students’ Federation, who had been shot at late on Thursday night, died early Friday morning.


Only on Thursday nine people had died in separate incidents of targeted killings besides those who died in a blast in Malir Halt.


Protests over the killings erupted in many parts of the city.


The PPP activists who died in Orangi Town on Friday were identified as Farhan Ali Khan, Nafis Siddiqi and Umer Hayat.


The SSP (West), Pir Fareed Jan Sarhandi, told The News that the incident took place on Friday afternoon near Urdu Chowk of Orangi Town.


He said Farhan Ali Khan was a former general-secretary of PPP’s Orangi Town ward.


The three were busy chatting near the Chowk when four unidentified men on two motorcycles opened fire on them and fled.


The injured were taken to the Abbasi Shaheed Hospital where they were pronounced dead.


Police found more than 11 empty shells of 9mm and TT pistols from the scene of the crime and they also collected blood samples which were sent for forensic tests, SSP Sarhandi said.


The SHO of Mominabad Police Station, Chaudhry Basheer, said police had arrested some suspects in the adjoining localities for questioning as the deceased had been having a dispute with a group and had clashed with it.


He added that they had been investigating the murder of the PPP workers from two different aspects: either the incident was part of the current wave of target killings or a result of some personal enmity.


Violence engulfed Orangi Town where armed men resorted to aerial firing and forced the businesses to pull their shutters down.


Moreover, workers and sympathizers of the party blocked roads where they torched tyres.


The protestors demanded justice from the Sindh government.


The recent spate of targeted violence, which began last week, has so far claimed 50 lives, which not only included the activists of political parties but also members of police and Rangers.


In spite of such killings in the city, none of the terrorists had been arrested yet.


In the other case, the president of the People’s Students’ Federation at the University of Karachi, Saeed Hassan Khan, 35, who had been shot at in the Scouts Colony of Mobina Town on Thursday night, died at the hospital early Friday morning.


The Sub Divisional Police Officer of Gulshan Sub-Division, Pervez Iqbal, said that Khan was shot at by two men riding a motorcycle outside his house.


He added that the police had found empty shells of Kalashnikov from the crime scene.


During investigation it was found that the deceased had attempted to escape his assailants who then fired almost a whole magazine of the Kalashanikov at their target.


The police officer said that the murder of Hassan Khan seemed to be part of target killing but they were also investigating other motives. The deceased had hailed from Waziristan and was married. After the death of the PSF leader law and order situation was witnessed in the Gulshan area where activists and supporters protested and also resorted to aerial firing.


Meanwhile, Naeem Sheikh, a supporter of a religious group, was shot dead in Sector 5C of Surjani Town. Police said they immediately rushed to the spot where they found the victim lying injured in his car.


The police shifted the injured to Abbasi Shaheed Hospital where he was pronounced dead.


SHO Basheer Ahmed of Surjani Town said the deceased was an owner of a travel agency in North Karachi and also ran another business in the Shershah scrap market. He added that the deceased, after offering the Juma prayers at the Masjid-i-Jaliliya in Surjani Town, was heading for his house in Block 4 of Federal B Area when unidentified men riding a motorcycle opened fire on him and fled.


Police found six empty shells of a 9mm pistol from the spot.


Investigators said that they had been investigating the murder of Naeem Sheikh from two aspects.


He might have been receiving extortion threats from some group who might have targeted him on refusal or the deceased might have had some enmity.