Pentagon denies US wants ‘cost + 50%’ from allies for bases
WASHINGTON: Acting Pentagon chief Patrick Shanahan denied on Thursday reports that the United States has a "cost-plus-50 percent" formula for allies to pay for the US military presence on their soil.
Earlier this week, Bloomberg reported that President Donald Trump is pushing the formula as a basis for Germany, Japan and other allies to compensate Washington for US troops based in their countries.
But Shanahan told the Senate Armed Services Committee that such reports were "erroneous." "We won’t do cost-plus-50 percent," he said in a hearing. He said US partners should pay their "fair share" when they can, but there was no such business-like formula.
"We’re not going to run a business and we’re not going to run a charity," Shanahan said. "Payment comes in lots of different forms. At the end of the day, people need to carry their fair share," he said.
"Not everyone can contribute. It is not about cost-plus-50 percent." Shanahan did not say whether Trump, who built a multibillion-dollar fortune in the real estate business, himself has advocated the formula.
Since coming into office, Trump has warned US allies, especially in Nato and East Asia, to pay more for the US presence. The White House has said that means Nato allies need to be spending two percent of their gross domestic product on defence.
-
Tucker Carlson Says Passport Seized, Staff Member Questioned At Israel Airport -
Taylor Swift Made Sure Jodie Turner-Smith's Little Girl Had A Special Day On 'Opalite' Music Video Set -
Eric Dane Says Touching Goodbye To Daughters Billie And Georgia In New Netflix Documentary -
Channing Tatum Reveals What He Told Daughter After Violent Incident At School -
King Charles Lands In The Line Of Fire Because Of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor -
Denise Richards Doubles Down On Abuse Claims Against Ex Husband Aaron Phypers Amid Show Return -
Russia Set To Block Overseas Crypto Exchanges In Sweeping Crackdown -
Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals Deep Personal Connection With Kate Hudson -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s Game Plan For Beatrice, Eugenie: ‘Extra Popcorn For This Disaster’ -
OpenAI To Rollout AI Powered Smart Speakers By 2027 -
Is Dakota Johnsons Dating Younger Pop Star After Breakup With Coldplay Frontman Chris Martin? -
Hilary Duff Tears Up Talking About Estranged Sister Haylie Duff -
US Supreme Court Strikes Down Trump’s Global Tariffs As 'unlawful' -
Kelly Clarkson Explains Decision To Quit 'The Kelly Clarkson Show' -
Inside Hilary Duff's Supportive Marriage With Husband Matthew Koma Amid New Album Release -
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens