LAHORE: The micro-credit outreach has registered an increased of 7.2 percent to 2.22 million consumers in the first quarter ended March 31 of the calendar year 2012 while gross loan portfolio (GLP) increased by 12.5 percent, from Rs28.8 billion to Rs32.4 billion.
According micro watch, a quarterly update issued by the Pakistan Microfinance Network (PMN), micro-credit active borrower outreach has increased by 9 percent and 6.3 percent for microfinance banks (MFBs) and the Rural Support Programmes (RSPs), respectively.
The increase in GLP is owing to MFBs by 14 percent, mostly by Tameer Microfinance Bank Ltd. (TMFB) and Khushhali Bank Ltd (KBL). However, volume of disbursements in the sector decreased by 6 percent compared to the previous quarter, again driven by MFBs.
In the first quarter, volume of group disbursement decreased by 8.5 percent to Rs8.34 billion, however, volume of individual disbursement increased nominally by 0.1 percent to Rs3.75 billion.
In the first quarter, male borrowers increased by 11 percent of total active borrowers. However, female outreach continues to dominate, with a 58 percent share in active borrowers, while holding a 45 percent share in the GLP.
Districts with highest growth in borrowers include Rahimyar Khan, Bahawalpur, Lodhran, Bhawalnagar, and Vehari (Punjab).
Borrower to staff ratio increased most noticeably for RSPs – from 98 to 130 in the current quarter, owing to National Rural Support Program (NRSP) and Sindh Rural Support Program (SRSO).
Savings showed a mix of highs and lows as number of savers increased by 1 percent. The value of savings decreased by 2 percent, RSPs and microfinance institutions (MFIs) contributed most to this decrease.
Women constituted 40 percent of savers and held 17 percent of value of savings. In other micro-savings indicators, contribution of deposit through intermediation is 36 percent for number of savers and 89 percent for volume this quarter.
Districts with highest growth in savers include Karachi in Sindh, Gujranwala, Lodhran, Jehlum and Vehari in Punjab.
Micro-insurance posted growth in the first quarter, in terms of both number of policyholders and sum insured, both showing an increase of 2.9 percent and 4.1 percent, respectively.
The Rural Support Programs and MFBs led the increase in both policyholders and sum insured, owing largely to an increase in policyholders and sum insured by NRSP, SRSO and PRSP (RSPs), KB, FMFBL andNational Rural Support Program-Bank (MFBs).
Of total policyholders, 32 percent hold health insurance policies and the remaining 68 percent hold credit policies. Share of women policyholders increase to 46 percent and sum insured of women increased by 6 percent (50 percent sum insured for women).
In the first quarter to March 31, 2012, geographical foot print of microfinance expanded to 91 districts with National Rural Support Program entering in Awaran and Panjgur (Baluchistan).
However, net number of outlets decreased by 52 branches, owing to closure of branches in KPK, Punjab and AJK.