Earthquake funds: Balakot residents to move apex court
MANSEHRA: The residents of Balakot will move the Supreme Court to become a party to the case about alleged embezzlement of $5 billion financial assistance donated by the international community for the rehabilitation of the 2005 earthquake survivors.
Chief Justice of Pakistan Justice Mian Saqib Nisar had taken a suo moto notice of the alleged embezzlement of $5 billion earlier this month on a written petition moved by a social activist from Mansehra, Sheraz Mehmood Qureshi, pleading an inquiry in the matter.
The Supreme Court had fixed March 26 (today) for hearing the suo moto notice and summoned attorney general of Pakistan, advocate general Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and director general Earthquake Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Authority to come to the court along with relevant documents.
The residents will move the SC through Munir Hussain Laghmani, former president of district bar association.
Laghmani, hailing from Balakot, said that people of his native town lauded the CJ for taking suo moto notice, saying that over 12 years had passed since the devastating earthquake and survivors were still living in makeshift shelters in miserable condition.
“The government had collected over $5 billion but the survivors here are still without their due rights as New Balakot City housing project is still in the doldrums,” said Laghmani.
-
Eric Dane Says Touching Goodbye To Daughters Billie And Georgia In New Netflix Documentary -
Channing Tatum Reveals What He Told Daughter After Violent Incident At School -
King Charles Lands In The Line Of Fire Because Of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor -
Denise Richards Doubles Down On Abuse Claims Against Ex Husband Aaron Phypers Amid Show Return -
Russia Set To Block Overseas Crypto Exchanges In Sweeping Crackdown -
Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals Deep Personal Connection With Kate Hudson -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s Game Plan For Beatrice, Eugenie: ‘Extra Popcorn For This Disaster’ -
OpenAI To Rollout AI Powered Smart Speakers By 2027 -
Is Dakota Johnsons Dating Younger Pop Star After Breakup With Coldplay Frontman Chris Martin? -
Hilary Duff Tears Up Talking About Estranged Sister Haylie Duff -
US Supreme Court Strikes Down Trump’s Global Tariffs As 'unlawful' -
Kelly Clarkson Explains Decision To Quit 'The Kelly Clarkson Show' -
Inside Hilary Duff's Supportive Marriage With Husband Matthew Koma Amid New Album Release -
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens -
Director Beth De Araujo Alludes To Andrew's Arrest During Child Trauma Talk -
Video Of Andrew 'consoling' Eugenie Resurfaces After Release From Police Custody