Waqar not in favour of cricket in empty stadiums
LAHORE: Pakistan bowling coach Waqar Younis Monday said he is not in favour of cricket resuming in empty stadiums amidst the Covid-19 pandemic as he feels the desperate plan would end up creating more problems while the world battles a worsening health crisis.
During a video conference with journalists on Monday, Waqar said there shouldn't be any cricket at the moment. The Covid-19 pandemic has caused nearly 70,000 deaths so far globally. "No I don't agree with this suggestion that cricket activities should resume soon even before empty stadiums," he said.
Some former cricket stars and officials of cricket boards have said that the game can resume slowly and matches can be held in front of empty stadiums with the proper precautions in place for teams, officials and other ground staff.
"I think maybe in five or six months' time when things are under control around the world and we get back some normalcy in life, we can think about matches behind closed doors. At some stage we need to think about these choices but not this month or next month. The situation is not right for any cricket activities," the former fast bowler said.
Waqar also made it clear that he was very keen to see the T20 World Cup held this year in Australia even if slightly delayed.
"Whenever I have played for Pakistan as a player or been a coach with the Pakistan team it has always been my desire to see the team win a major ICC title. That is why this World T20 is so important for me and the team," he said. "I would like to be the part of a management where we can win a major title," he added.
Waqar said that he is ready to become a part of Prime Minister Imran Khan's Corona Tiger Relief Force, as country fights with deadly pandemic. The 48-year-old said: “I have known Imran for a long time. He is taking decisions — regarding the coronavirus situation in the country — after careful deliberation."
“If coronavirus will slow down in coming months then it can be considered to stage T20 World Cup behind the close doors, but it will not be an easy task that there wouldn't spectators but broadcasters, production teams & logistics people will be involved"
The Burewala Express also commented on Azhar Mahmood’s statement regarding Hasan Ali's injury, as said, “As far as I know, I don't think any such thing [injury from excessive gym work] happened.
-
Dwayne Johnson Confesses What Secretly Scares Him More Than Fame -
Elizabeth Hurley's Son Damian Breaks Silence On Mom’s Romance With Billy Ray Cyrus -
Shamed Andrew Should Be Happy ‘he Is Only In For Sharing Information’ -
Daniel Radcliffe Wants Son To See Him As Just Dad, Not Harry Potter -
Apple Sued Over 'child Sexual Abuse' Material Stored Or Shared On ICloud -
Nancy Guthrie Kidnapped With 'blessings' Of Drug Cartels -
Hailey Bieber Reveals Justin Bieber's Hit Song Baby Jack Is Already Singing -
Emily Ratajkowski Appears To Confirm Romance With Dua Lipa's Ex Romain Gavras -
Leighton Meester Breaks Silence On Viral Ariana Grande Interaction On Critics Choice Awards -
Heavy Snowfall Disrupts Operations At Germany's Largest Airport -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Released Hours After Police Arrest -
Heidi Klum Eyes Spooky Season Anthem With Diplo After Being Dubbed 'Queen Of Halloween' -
King Charles Is In ‘unchartered Waters’ As Andrew Takes Family Down -
Why Prince Harry, Meghan 'immensely' Feel 'relieved' Amid Andrew's Arrest? -
Jennifer Aniston’s Boyfriend Jim Curtis Hints At Tensions At Home, Reveals Rules To Survive Fights -
Shamed Andrew ‘dismissive’ Act Towards Royal Butler Exposed