Mon, Nov 30, 2015, Safar 17, 1437 A.H | Last updated 6 hours ago
Hot Topics
You are here: Home > Today's Paper > Top Story
- Sunday, August 05, 2012 - From Print Edition


GAMBAT: Police arrested a man and two women here on Saturday, charging them with “intentions of adultery”. Curiously, the law-enforcers took it upon themselves to register a case and also decided to act as witnesses to the said “crime”.


Reportedly, a video clip had been doing the rounds among locals, where the man and one of the women charged by police were shown being paraded naked who were scrambling to put their clothes back on but were forced against it by police officials. When a local SHO was contacted, he agreed to give an official statement on the case but was later unavailable to make comments. Meanwhile, Deputy Superintendent of Police, Sagheer Mughairi, said he was unaware of the incident and suggested the media to contact the local police station for further information.


According to the case registered by the police, officials were informed by a “local spy” that a man called “Mumtaz” had invited two women over for sexual favours. Police officials claimed that when police reached the site, they found a man “sitting inside a room with his arms around two women”.


Since no witnesses were present on the site to record their statements, two police officials who were part of the raiding team were made witnesses to the “act”. However, as opposed to the police statement, it was believed that several eye-witnesses were present at the site and reportedly saw the police force a naked man and a woman onto the streets.


While parading the couple through the streets, the police also went past the Sheikh Chowk, half-a-kilometre from the site of the incident. When some media people spoke to the eye-witnesses present at Sheikh Chowk, they said that when they showed their aversion to the police, the woman — still without clothes — was forced into a police mobile, but Mumtaz was forced to walk in front of the vehicle all the way to the police station.


The second woman, eye-witnesses said, was fully dressed at this point.According to the police, Mumtaz Hussain Mir Bahar, a local trader, managed to seek a bail from a local court. Meanwhile, the women were sent to Larkana jail.Mumtaz, while talking to some journalists, claimed his innocence and said he was being victimized by the police.