SUKKUR: The Sindh government will convey its reservations to the Election Commission as well as to the federal government over the delisting of thousands of voters belonging to the province from the electoral lists.
This was stated by Chief Minister Syed Qaim Ali Shah while talking to the media at the Sukkur Airport on arrival here on Friday for the 191st Urs celebrations of Hazrat Sachal Sarmast.He said he found it paradoxical that instead of the numbers of voters in Sindh going up, they, according to the EC’s list, had gone down.
Shah reiterated the government’s resolve to hold the elections on time. The chief minister said that the issue of local bodies’ elections would be resolved soon. Shah said that his government had been facing some financial problems due to the non-release of Rs25 billion by the federal government which the latter had now agreed to transfer to the provincial government.
The chief minister said that the law and order situation in Karachi was under control. Meanwhile, later addressing a women’s convention in Khairpur, the chief minister said that 70,000 acres of land had been distributed among tens of thousands of landless female peasants.
He said that the government had also provided fertilizers to those peasants free of cost. The chief minister said that the government had also spent one billion rupees on the poverty alleviation programme. Dr Sono Khan Kanghrani, chief executive of SRSO, briefed the chief minister on the execution of the poverty alleviation programme in the 140 union councils.