Tue, Sep 02, 2014, Zul.Qaadah 06,1435 A.H : Last updated 1 hour ago
 
 
Group Chairman: Mir Javed Rahman

Editor-in-Chief: Mir Shakil-ur-Rahman
 
You are here: Home > Today's Paper > World
 
 
 World
 
 
 
Thursday, November 22, 2012
From Print Edition
 
 

 

NAPLES, Italy: France and Germany have overcome differences on building a successor to the Ariane 5 rocket, French Science Minister Genevieve Fioraso said at a European space meeting here Wednesday.

 

A German-backed plan for an Ariane 5 ME will go ahead, with a first flight scheduled for 2017, and as much of its technology as possible will be used in a future Ariane 6, a launcher promoted by France, whose maiden mission would be in 2021-2022, she said.

 

“We have established a joint document with our German partners, which naturally is extended to our other partners in Ariane,” she told journalists at a budget meeting of the European Space Agency (ESA).

 

The two-day talks, which began on Tuesday, had been overshadowed by discord over a replacement for the ageing but reliable Ariane 5.

 

The new rocket should provide more flexible launch options for the swiftly-changing satellite market and wean itself off the 120 million euros ($152 million) a year that the Ariane 5 needs from ESA’s budget each year.

 

France had been pushing for a smaller, sleeker Ariane 6, which would require investment of about four billion euros ($6.45 billion).

 

But industrialists feared this timescale was way too long and would give the advantage to nimble rivals in commercial satellite launches.