President Awami Tehreek (AT) Ayaz Latif Palijo has said that the Sindhi and Baloch people are writing a new history of the country by not surrendering before the forces that have become ‘tools of foreign elements’ and who want them to leave the city.
He was speaking at a public gathering organised by the AT at Gabol Park in Lyari on Sunday. Earlier, the party had announced to bring out a rally and stage a sit-in in front of Chief Minister House, but owing to the imposition of Section 144 they preferred to stay in Lyari.
Ayaz Palijo blamed the provincial government and former interior minister Rehman Malik for the worsening law and order situation in the metropolis while passing critical remarks against Muttahida Qaumi Movement.
He alleged that after the Karsaz blast at the welcome reception of Benazir Bhutto in Karachi most of the Pakistan Peoples’ Party (PPP) leaders had run away to save their lives, saying, at that moment only Lyariites and Sardar Abdul Rehman came to the rescue of the slain PPP chairperson. “But, unfortunately, Rehman was later labelled as a dacoit and was killed in a fake encounter,” Palijo said.
According to him, Rehman Malik was one of those who ran away from the blast scene on October 18 (2007) but he was later inducted as the interior minister of the country. Palijo claimed that a number of AT activists were also killed in the Karsaz blast.
An almost similar situation was observed on December 27, 2007, when Benazir Bhutto was assassinated in Liaquat Bagh, Rawalpindi, when the entire party leadership escaped from the scene to save their lives, he said.
Ayaz Palijo further said that Sindhi and Baloch people were not afraid of anybody and they would not surrender to the forces that had been threatening these communities for their vested interest.
“Some circles have been raising objections on my visits to Karachi and they also want to see a ban on my entry into the city. Although Karachi has become a red-zone for me, I would like to say that I will keep visiting the metropolis in future too and no one could stop me or the AT activists from coming to this city,” he declared.
He said that Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry was not allowed to enter the city on May 12 (2007) and was forced to stay at the airport, while the entry of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf chief was also banned in the city and now the PPP-led government wants to do the same with him in order to appease one of its coalition partners.
“But the Sindhi and Baloch people are writing a new history of the country by not surrendering before the forces that have become tools of foreign elements since we want a Pakistan which should be independent and strong and not taking dictation from the foreign power,” Palijo said.
“How unfortunate it was when the lawyers were burnt alive in this city but the police could not arrest the culprits and the government seems helpless in laying hands on the criminals involved in target killings,” he added.
Palijo said that the AT would not allow any division of the province, alleging that the PPP-led government has been planning to create a new city with the name of Zulfikarabad and they have also planned to connect that city with Gwadar so that in future a new territory could emerge on the globe.
“The provincial government is busy appeasing one of its allies who were involved in the murder of Abdullah Murad, Munawar Suharwardy, Nasir Baloch and many others,” he alleged.
On the occasion, Palijo praised Uzair Jan Baloch, the leader of the banned Peoples’ Amn Committee (PAC), saying: “He (Uzair) and PAC have saved Lyari and its dwellers”.
He said that announcing head money on Uzair Jan Baloch, Zafar Baloch and others was against the Constitution of the country, Palijo said.
Palijo warned that if PPP did not change its policies then the whole province would turn into a red-zone for them in future. He alleged that two young Baloch, who were coming from Malir to attend the event, were gunned downed by miscreants.
He said that the AT has no issue with the Urdu-speaking people but the nationalist party was against the policies of the MQM.
The police had placed containers on the roads leading to CM House at Shaheen Complex and Club Road to prevent the AT and PAC activists from crossing into the red-zone.
At least 4,000 personnel were deployed to meet any untoward situation.
However, realising the sensitivity of the situation, the rally participants did not march from Lyari to CM House, as per the earlier plan, in memory of the May 22 Mohabbat-e-Sindh (Love of Sindh) rally who lost their lives by the firing of miscreants.